Thursday, March 5, 2009

Day 4

Breakfast
Neil had his usual yogurt and cereal. I skipped it, as I often do.

Lunch
Soup and tuna sandwich for me, Caesar salad and tuna sandwich for Neil

Dinner
Taco salad:



I admit that it doesn't get a lot of points for presentation, but it's so quick and tasty. Brown up some ground whatever (in our case Quorn), add some taco seasoning (at which point the Quorn becomes virtually indistinguishable from ground beef), and put it in a bowl with some tortilla chips, refried black beans, shredded cheese, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, and salsa (or whatever you like - you know how this faux Mexican thing works). This satisfies my guilt-riddled love of the Taco Bell taco salad without being so disgusting and bad for me.

In other news, yesterday we finally went to the grocery store. Two grocery stores, actually, because Kroger was out of zuccinni (the produce clerk blamed Senior Citizen Day) and didn't have the corn meal I was looking for. So we went to ValuMarket as well. We spent a little over $100 and got enough food for three dinner recipes (that will each feed us at least twice), some sandwich fixings for lunch (PB&J and pimento cheese), and some snacky things like fruit, carrots, crackers, etc. It's kind of neat to know that if I get hungry, I can just go into the kitchen and get something to eat!

I'm excited about tonight's dinner, and I can't wait to blog about it. It's polenta squares with gorgonzola cream, braised greens, and cannellini beans. I have never cooked polenta, greens, or cannellini beans before. The polenta has to be cooked in a double boiler, allowed to cool in a rectangular pan, sliced up, and fried. In the interest of not eating at midnight tonight, I made the polenta last night. It was reeeeally good just by itself, and I can't wait to fry it up and slather it in gorgonzola cream sauce!

No comments: