Saturday, January 5, 2008

Oooooh, Mojito

My mother called this morning and asked if I wanted to meet her at the optometrist to help her pick out new frames. I would have done it anyway because I love my mommy, but the fact that she offered to buy me lunch didn't hurt. I scrambled out of my pajamas (and into some clothes) and headed out to Springhurst which, for you non-Louisvillians, is an explosion of shopping centers, tract housing, and traffic. (When I lived nearby in the 1980s it was nothing but farmland, and I now find the whole area somewhat distasteful. But I will spare you my urban planning rant.)

Mom picked out some stylish new frames and then it was time for lunch. A few nearby chain restaurants (Rafferty's, Cheddars) were mentioned, but in my never-ending proselytizing about local restaurants, I suggested Mojito. Mom had never been there and agreed to try it. So off we went to Holiday Manor.

Although Mojito has sandwiches and such, the tapas are what it's really all about, and we decided to split four of them. Our choices:

Ensalada Mediterranea: lettuce, Marcona almonds, pine nuts, shaved fig bread, feta cheese, olives, grapes, raisins, cucumbers with a muscatel dressing

Boniato Frito: sweet potato fries served with smoked honey

Picadillo Empanadas: Beef with spices and olives in a tender crust

Queso Fundido: Melted cheese mixed with chorizo and (I think) Serrano ham, served with bread

We ended the meal with the goat cheese flan and two Cuban coffees.

My mom is a pretty open-minded diner and Mojito is very good, so I wasn't surprised that she liked it. I was pleased and amused by her reaction, though. With her first taste of the sweet potato fries and smoked honey she declared that she was in heaven. She said that the flan was the best she'd ever eaten. At the end of the meal she said that Mojito was her new favorite restaurant. That's some pretty strong praise!

It is a sad fact that Mojito is located in a part of town that I rarely have reason to visit. I'm quite spoiled living near the Highlands and Frankfort Ave, the two major food districts in Louisville. But Mojito is definitely worth the trek out to the East End. I'm going to have to make a concerted effort to eat there more often, because it really is outstanding. The food was delicious and beautifully presented, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the friendly and attentive service. We hadn't quite planned on spending $50 for lunch, but it was worth every penny. I can't wait to go back.

2 comments:

Tabetha said...

I'd forgotten about that place! YUM.

Anonymous said...

I'm the same about leaving the comforts of the Highlands and Frankfort Avenue. I love Havana Rhumba so I really, really want to try Mojito. I've just got to ramp up to go to Holiday Manor.