Sunday, September 7, 2008

Mojito = Goat Cheese Heaven

Tonight my parents took me and Neil to dinner at Mojito for Neil's birthday, which was Wednesday. (Neil and I, by the way, have gotten back together. That's good news for this blog, because I had kind of lost my joie de food blogging without him. But all of that is for another entry.) I had read on Louisville HotBytes about their new, more Spanish-influenced menu, and I was excited about trying it.

We got there at 5:45 (we planned to go early to beat the rush) and were seated immediately on the patio. The weather was perfect. It took a little longer than expected for anyone to offer us drinks, but eventually they did, and Neil, my dad and I all enjoyed mojitos. If someone makes a better mojito than Mojito does, I would like to try it. They are just fantastic.

Someday I will get used to being a food blogger and I will actually make notes about the names and contents of the dishes that I eat. But I'll try to describe it as best I can. Neil and I had two favorites from the old menu that had made the cut and two new items. We started with our beloved Ensalada Mediterranea (lettuce, Marcona almonds, pine nuts, shaved fig bread, feta cheese, olives, grapes, raisins, and cucumbers with a muscatel dressing). (I actually lifted that description from a previous Blog Tartare entry about Mojito and I'm not sure if it's still entirely accurate, but the salad was still entirely delicious!) Then came the Queso Fundido, a bowl of melted cheese mixed with chorizo and (I think) Serrano ham, served with bread. Next we had a dish whose name escapes me; it was a mushroom gratin with goat cheese and potatoes, also served with bread. And finally we had flat bread topped with duck confit, marmalade, greens, and goat cheese. We ended the meal with goat cheese flan and Cuban coffee.

Everything was fantastic. The service was a little off; drink refills were kind of hard to come by, and at least four times (possibly five) various servers tried to deliver food to our table that didn't belong to us. But the lovely weather and outstanding food made up for it.

I must say, between this dinner and having recently seen Vicky Cristina Barcelona, I'm dying to go back to Spain. I could do some awesome food blogging there. Someone should give me some grant money!

No comments: