Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Wine please!

So apparently Kentucky is considering grocery store wine sales again. I've always found it a little wacky that when I vacation on the Gulf Coast of Alabama - a state, by the way, that bans sex toys - I can pick up a few bottles of wine as I do my grocery shopping, but when I come home it's back to the liquor store.

I do feel for the local wine shops that could be affected by this. On the other hand, though, Kentucky is one of only 16 states that don't allow wine sales in grocery stores, and I feel certain that those other 34 states still have plenty of wine and spirit shops. When I'm looking for something special I'm going to go to Old Town, but when I want a cheap bottle of whatever to go with a week-night dinner, I would love to be able to pick it up at Kroger along with my dinner ingredients. The wine I would buy at the the grocery store would be in addition to the wine I get at my favorite wine shops, not instead of it.

But wait! Wine in grocery stores could "expose more children to alcohol products"! Which is why they don't sell beer at the grocery store. Or liquor at the drug store. Or... oh, yeah. Nice try, Wine and Spirits Wholesalers of Kentucky!

I really hope this passes. I know we all have much bigger political fish to fry right now, but this - unlike, say, the Wall Street bail-out - would have a direct and immediate positive impact on my life. If we're all going to be forced into the bread line, we ought to have some wine to go with it!

1 comment:

KMay said...

In Virginia we get both wine AND beer at the grocery store! For the hard stuff, you have to go to the state run liquor store. Sneaky Virginia...

I wouldn't worry for the wine shops. Even with all that in the groceries, there are still at least two wine shops here in town, (one sells specialty beers as well) and they're doing just fine.
It could be the fact that we're in Virginia wine country, but I'm sure even if we weren't, there's still a good market for grape based booze. :)

They did pass a law that made it illegal to ship it places outside of Virginia though, so supposedly you can't order wine sent to you unless you're some sort of wholesaler or something.

That's dumb, I think, but apparently the "think of the poor children" children might order wine on the internet instead of paying their local wino to go in and get it for them! Bad for the economy, children!!
;)