Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Imminent Return of Blog Tartare

So. Blog Tartare. It moved over to Tumblr for a bit, but even there it has been languishing. Graduate school was taking up entirely too much of the time that I used to use to cook things (and then blog about them), and since I've been only marginally employed for most of the last two years, we haven't had the money to do the kind of dining out we used to.

However!

Yesterday I graduated with my master's degree, and I start a new job next month. My hope is to start cooking interesting dinners again several times a week now that my evenings aren't dominated by academic reading and writing. (It helps that the Root Cellar will be on my way home from work!) I'm also looking forward to getting caught back up on the local restaurant scene. I feel incredibly out of the loop in that regard, because most of our dining out over the last couple years has consisted of old familiar (and cheap) favorites.

In honor of this new chapter in my life and the impending return of Blog Tartare, allow me to share a recipe that made an appearance at my graduation party last night. I found this on AllRecipes and was pretty impressed by how easy it was and how delicious these margaritas turned out!

Bucket of Margaritas
4 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups tequila
1 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen limeade
1/2 cup triple sec (orange-flavored liqueur)
1 whole lime, cut into 6 wedges

Mix the water, tequila, limeade, and orange liqueur in a freezer-proof container with a lid; stir. Cover and store in freezer until it reaches a slush-like consistency, about 24 hours. Serve in glasses garnished with lime wedges.
We made four gallons of this using freezer bags, and it was pretty awesome to be able to take a new bag out of the freezer and refill the margarita pitcher when it started getting low. Some of the comments on AllRecipes also mention making individual servings in sandwich bags and then taking them camping, to the beach, on picnics, etc, which I think is a great idea. The next time I do this I will probably try adding mango nectar, because I do love a mango margarita!

In other news, we're heading to New Mexico for a quick vacation later this week, and I am SO EXCITED about the food there. Hopefully my next entry will have lots of photos and descriptions of all the southwestern deliciousness I encounter there. I also want to write soon about my recipe for panang curry, which I adapted from another recipe several years ago and have finally perfected. This recipe has the distinction of being the first one that I know by heart and can prepare from memory.

'Til soon, Blog Tartare readers! <3

No comments: