Saturday, May 26, 2012

Peachy!


Peaches might be my favorite fruit. But I'm not talking about the crappy, hard, flavorless peaches you can get at Kroger any time of year. I'm talking about in-season, make-a-juicy-mess-all-over-your-shirt, daydream-about-them-over-the-winter peaches. I got a craving last night, so we went to ValuMarket and picked up our first peaches of the summer. I got home, selected the ripest one, and it exploded all over my face as soon as I bit into it. Perfect!

My very favorite thing to eat for breakfast during the summer is yogurt with granola and peaches. The tartness of the yogurt, the crunch of the granola, and the sweetness of the peaches is a perfect combination. So this morning, peaches in hand, I set about making some granola so I could enjoy my first bowl of breakfast bliss.


I have written about Ellie Krieger's granola recipe before. It's still my go-to granola recipe because it's so easy and because I usually have most of the ingredients on hand. Today it turned out that I was out of almonds, so I substituted sunflower seeds. Honestly, it's better with almonds, but the sunflower seeds were okay in a pinch. The great thing about this recipe is that you can throw in pretty much any combination of nuts, seeds and/or dried fruit that you happen to have. I think my next batch will be almond-coconut, and I'd like to try a cranberry-orange version, too.

After this photo was taken I totally cut up the other half of the peach and threw it in the bowl all willy-nilly!
It's Memorial Day Weekend and I have one or two interesting recipes on the agenda. Here's hoping they turn out blog-worthy!

No comments: