Friday, May 25, 2012

Two Things

1. My oil and vinegars from Oleaceae arrived yesterday. (We had them shipped as opposed to wrapping them in dirty laundry, crossing our fingers, and flying home with them.) I wasted no time trying them out, making a vinaigrette with the olive oil and the fig balsamic to go on a salad with last night's dinner. Having this olive oil in my own kitchen made it obvious how very different it is from the grocery store stuff I use for most applications. It's fragrant, green, grassy, and has a really peppery finish.

Anyway, I used this fig vinaigrette on a salad of spring mix, blue cheese, and walnuts. Oooooohmygod. I see many repetitions of this salad in my future. Like, maybe around lunchtime.

1.5. Related to my trip to New Mexico, we were watching Breaking Bad last night (we're still on Season 2) and there was a bottle of Santa Fe Pale Ale in Walt's fridge and I was all "Eeeee, I drank that beer!" Because I'm a giant nerd.

2. This fake restaurant menu, which was handed out at Brooklyn's Great GoogaMooga Festival, had me laughing until I couldn't breathe. It's in tiny print so you might have to zoom in to read it (Command-+, Mac users!), but it's totally worth the trouble. It features such delicacies as Stanza Cotta: "Accidentally dropped in a honeydew stuttering, with a poo-poo-berry possibility." And Mini-Hrak Cuddles with Malonies. And Panty Slaw. Just go read it.

I have some cooking-related posts in mind for the near future, so stay tuned!

No comments: